Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Perks of Loving the Game!!!

I love College Baseball! I first fell in love with it my freshman year in college when I spent most of my free time at the field watching a certain pitcher play the game...go figure! Anyway, when June comes around, Shane and I get very excited...not because it is summer or the end of school...but because of the College World Series! Every year we kick ourselves for not going over to Fullerton and catching a Regional or Super Regional Game...but NOT THIS YEAR!

Last night we went to watch two of the best college baseball programs in the nation battle it out...Cal State Fullerton and Stanford! I don't know who was more excited...me or Shane!!!

Yes...we took the kids...crazy, I know! They had fun...as long as they had food in their mouths!


We had great seats...between home and third base, just a few rows up from the home dugout!

Now, aside from loving the game, I had a second reason for wanting to go. Anyone who follows Cal State Fullerton Baseball, knows that someone else does too...

Do you know who that is???...Here is a close up!!!

Yes people...it's Kevin Costner!!! I spotted him when he walked past our section! He sat behind home plate, two rows down from the press box...not too far from us! I had a perfect unobstructed view of him for the entire game!!! He sat with the "common people" and everything!!!

I decided with a very cute 4 year old daughter in a cast, that I needed to go for the autograph! The people behind me supplied us with a black sharpie marker and Rylie and I made our way over. In the area where we were sitting, as well as Kevin, there were security guards at each entrance. I should have made this be the one time in my life when I asked for forgiveness rather than permission, but out of respect for the man, I asked the security guard if we could go down for an autograph...yes...everyone else was just waking down...and yes, I waited until it was between innings. Well, I should have asked the young, cute security guard because the crusty old one told us NO. I'm such a rule follower! Anyway...I could have gotten to him the other way from where we were sitting, but I do have my limits!

We had a great time and it was a great game...even if Stanford did end up winning 4-3! The game was on ESPN...and our friends saw us on TV! No, I didn't think to Tivo the game until we got to the field...next time I will remember...and next time Shane and I are leaving the kids home so that we can actually watch the whole game!! (By the way...Kevin is sitting in the left upper corner of this picture just under the press box!)

3 comments:

Amber Horspool said...

wow, that's a good picture of Kevin Costner. so fun that you guys got to go to the game!

Alli Easley said...

You should have cried, crying in baseball throws people off...just ask Tom Hanks.

Kristen said...

I can't tell you how many times Shane wanted to show that movie to his team this year!